kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Looks like king or coral but with red stripes at end of tail

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Snake is This Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on April 05, 2003 at 23:35:22:

In Reply to: Re: Looks like king or coral but with red stripes at end of tail posted by zygopq on April 05, 2003 at 23:13:29:

Hmmm... I'll have to admit you have me somewhat stumped here. The combination of red, yellow and black triads and a black tail with red rings, doesn't match up to anything I know of. An Eastern Coral snake has a black tail with yellow rings and a scarlet king snake has triads continuing the length of his tail. Does anyone near you keep exotics? Perhaps they had a escapee?

::Thanks, sorry about the description. Yes, it was ringed yellow, black and red (but not sure on arrangement) of that I am sure. I stepped away and then went back for a better look and saw the tail end going under the house. That tail was black with red rings. Is it likely I saw two snakes of different species together?

::

::You don't say if it was ringed, like a coral snake or scarlet king snake and your description is a tad confusing. You say it was red, yellow and black like a coral snake, but then you say it was black bodied with red stripes on the tail. At this point I'm leaning toward a mud snake (Farancia abacura) or a rainbow snake (Farancia erytrogramma).

:::I live in Plant City, Florida next to a swamp. I was sweeping the porch about mid-morning when I noticed a snake. I know very little about species of snakes, but I do know there is at least one coral in the area (saw it myself). This looked similar, with red, black and yellow (can't be sure what was next to what) but with muted colors. The snake was black bodied and had red stripes at the end of the tail. It was also thicker bodied than the coral I saw. Everything I have checked gives no explanation for anything of that sort. Any assistance would be helpful

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Snake is This Forum ]