kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Additional photo

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Snake is This Forum ]

Posted by Greg Longhurst on March 29, 2003 at 09:14:13:

In Reply to: Re: Additional photo posted by davk on March 29, 2003 at 00:01:19:

:I asked a good friend of mine who has been breeding snakes..primarily corns..for nearly thirty years. This is his response:
We are starting to get a lot of this kind of request -- What is it? -- and we're of the growing attitude of 'Who cares? - it's a mutt' with all the crisscrossing / hybridization going on these days. We've never been big thayeri fans, so it may even represent one of the many variables of that species without being a cross - I wouldn't want to swear one way or another.

The trend will surely move toward most herp keepers eventually becoming wary of hybrids with 1/8 this kind of blood in them, or that are 1/32 that, and they'll demand 'certified' purity of their purchases. It'll help our sales, and push buyers to 'old, established breeders you can trust' to know their stock's origins. It'll also start to redefine the difference between real herpers / breeders and the legions of newby hobbyists who didn't grow up / learn their way into the hobby, but simply dove in by buying pets at a show or shop on a whim with no clue as to what they were getting in to. It's kind of a trend (or natural evolution) that was bound to happen, and may result in some form of A.K.C. for captive herps some day.

I hope this helps! ~~Greg~~
:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Snake is This Forum ]