kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Is there such thing as a RAINBOW SWIFT?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]

Posted by brad wilson on November 11, 2002 at 09:43:28:

In Reply to: Is there such thing as a RAINBOW SWIFT? posted by ceph on November 07, 2002 at 19:14:55:

As Ingo says, that's a male Emerald Swift.

I wish I'd kept the info on file, but a couple months ago a gentleman who lived in Costa Rica made a presentation to our herp club. He indicated that emerald swifts lived in his yard (he had photos) which was definitely not a high altitude area. As I recall the altitude was just a few hundred meters at most. I checked the high and low temps for that city and they ranged mostly from the 60s to 80s year round. Of course emeralds range into higher areas with greater weather extremes.

My son has raised two emerald swifts from their birth (they popped out from a shipment at a petstore he worked at) and they have absolutely thrived. They've grown from tiny lizards to about 6" adults (maybe longer - they are hard to measure) who are extremely active. They have great appetites, shed properly, and show signs of mating (they are a male and female pair).

The setup that works for them is not quite as extreme as Ingo recommends. The ambient temps are in the 70s and 80s during the day and 60s and 70s at night. There is an incandescent basking light which provides temps in the 90s and 100s. They often bask hanging upside down from the screen directly under the light. There are also two 18" low-UV bulbs (GE Sunshine aka Chroma 50s) that the swifts also bask directly under.

The tank is a 29-gallon "tall" tank. I don't have the dimensions at hand but it's about 30" long, 13" wide and maybe 24" tall. It is heavily planted and has cork bark tubes and branches that provide plenty of climbing, basking and hiding areas. The enclosure is misted twice a day.

They would definitely enjoy a larger enclosure, but the current setup works quite well as it provides many nooks and crannies for them to explore and hide in. Also, since they are basically "captive bred" or at least "captive born" they have probably adapted better than a wild caught specimen.

They are fed mostly crickets and mealworms, usually dusted with calcium/D3 powder. Once a week they also get multivitamin powder. They also like wax worms and go nuts when a fly or moth gets in their cage.

good luck. they are very entertaining lizards who do well in a natural-looking setup.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ What Kind of Lizard Forum ]