kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Opinions for a newbie?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]

Posted by venom17 on May 13, 2003 at 17:41:41:

In Reply to: Opinions for a newbie? posted by AJD on May 12, 2003 at 16:29:23:

:Only one person has responded and I would like to have ideas and views from lots of people so please take the time to respond Thank you

:I have been working with reptiles and amphibians since I was 7. I am turning 19 in a week and I would love to start into venomous. So here are some questions.
:A. I was thinking of an eyelash viper? Good starter or not?
:1. How potent is the venom?
:2. Are there any good caresheets that I could look at?
:B. Would another species be better? I am open to suggestions however I am not real keen on vine snakes. I do absolutely love vipers in general, especially the rhino (I know way to venomous for a newbie).
:C. Finally Any information that you could give me on the species you suggest would be much appreciated

:Thank you for all of your help

:AJ

Ok heres the deal. Venom is Venom. You can have a severe allergic reaction to the venom of any kind of snake whether its a Southern Copperhead or a Rhino Viper. If your dead your dead.
My first venomous snake I got when I was 13 was an adult Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake. Those and the Cottonmouths were the only snakes I kept and worked with for the next 3 years. Dusky's are good because of their low toxicity compared to other snakes, but most I have had are a pain to hook. They like to move alot. In my opinion, the best snake to start with would be a neonate Florida Cottonmouth. Yes they do have a nasty bite and can be fatal if left untreated but they hook extremely well(the ones I kept did anyways)and are great feeders. My guys I had were very laid back too. It doesnt matter what snake you start with, IF YOU BECOME COMPLACENT or LET YOUR GUARD down for a minute, you can end up in the hospital or even worse dead. Just be safe, learn alot about the snake you choose, and have fun. They are all wonderful creatures. Contact me if you need any further information.
-Joe-

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]