kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Info!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]

Posted by meretseger on February 23, 2003 at 07:10:47:

In Reply to: Desert horned viper posted by King Baboon on February 13, 2003 at 07:03:07:

My first hot was a C. cerastes. I'd buy a captive bred one if you can. The care is really straightforward, a hot spot of 95 degrees and a bunch of sand. I've seen mine drink water once so you'd probably want to offer it every so often to be sure.
The great thing about mine is that he's extremely curious. He's very unlike any of my other snakes.
The downside is that they hook like greased kittens. They just completely lack the ability to grip the hook, and being dropped a bunch pisses them off. Mine's usually not too strikey. My recommendation is that you get a cage with a divider, but you need to learn how to manipulate the snake with hooks if it ever gets sick. Fortunately, unlike some other small snakes, they don't seem to be able to jump.
And the really big downside is finding antivenom. Don't get bit!
But if you have a good understanding of snakes and are ready to respect a hot, I think they're a good choice.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]