kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: question for meretseger

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]

Posted by GaboonKeeper on January 24, 2003 at 19:44:49:

In Reply to: Re: question for meretseger posted by zak on January 24, 2003 at 17:36:44:

They are not that hard to keep if you do your homework on them..... They are a bit "needy" as far as snakes go..... They do need more attention than most other species...... I have to put all my gaboons and rhinos in the water basin otherwise the will not drink..... I do this every other day..... I also put them in a big tub of water to soak for an hour once a week..... Another thing I do to make sure they stay hydrated is I inject a F/T prey item with spring water every other feeding..... They need proper temps and humidity inorder for them live healthy and happy..... Temps are between the mid 70s and low to mid 80s..... Humidity depends on the season..... A safe area would be around 70%...... I keep them in large enough cages to allow them to themoregulate them selves......A cool end and a warm end..... The cooler end has the water basin and stays alittle more humid than the warmer end..... Its not rocket science but does require a good amount of research...... When getting into venomous snakes, there is no amount of years or any species of non venomous snake that will prepare you for what you are about to get into..... It is how comfortable you are with your handling and keeping skills..... When you get into something like this just make sure you are doing it for the right reasons..... Good luck.....

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Viperidae Forum ]