kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I need a couple more opinions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]

Posted by conservationist on May 11, 2003 at 17:12:33:

In Reply to: I need a couple more opinions posted by AJD on May 11, 2003 at 16:55:41:

I would personally go with a false water cobra. They are available almost year round (Try great valley serpentatium or east bay vivarium), and are really cool snakes that not many people really work with. They are usually aggressive feeders and are relatively hardy in captivity, much more forgiving than eyelash vipers.

A bite from a false water cobra is far less likely to be fatal than an eyelash viper bite. Bill has a care sheet for the false water cobras on the great valley website, from the kingsnake.com main site.

One thing I've noticed from some of the small arboreal vipers I've worked with is... A lot of them have to be tease-fed, with
tongs. Sometimes, they take the food fast. Other times, it may take 10-15 mins or more, which can be stressing the snake, as well as you, if you have a bunch of snakes to feed.

:Only one person has responded and I would like to have ideas and views from lots of people so please take the time to respond Thank you

:I have been working with reptiles and amphibians since I was 7. I am turning 19 in a week and I would love to start into venomous. So here are some questions.
:A. I was thinking of an eyelash viper? Good starter or not?
:1. How potent is the venom?
:2. Are there any good caresheets that I could look at?
:B. Would another species be better? I am open to suggestions however I am not real keen on vine snakes.
:C. Finally Any information that you could give me on the species you suggest would be much appreciated

:Thank you for all of your help

:AJ

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Venomous Snake Forum ]