kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Chameleon . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Skink . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

SHES STILL ALIVE BUT............

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by spiny_tail on May 01, 2003 at 23:08:09:

In Reply to: SHES STILL ALIVE BUT............ posted by Lauri on May 01, 2003 at 06:04:02:

It sounds like you’re on the right track as far as trying to keep food/fluids in her. I have personally never used the Flucker Farms product so I cannot say if it helps or not.
My main goal in a situation such as yours would be to just keep giving her feeding solution mixed with the pedialyte. Since I learned how to tube feed my lizards, I no longer just syringe the feeding mixture. With tubing, the feeding time is done in a lot less time and doesn’t stress them out as long. Plus, this enables you to give them the amount of food they need and you aren’t at their mercy as far as how much gets into them. While I use the catheters for tube feeding, the medication needles mentioned on Doug’s website are just as good http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Supplies.htm (located at bottom of page).
Karnivor’s website really helped me out a lot when I first started out http://www.kingsnake.com/uromastyx/urocaresheet.html (start reading at “new arrivals”) It’s pretty much the feeding formula that I follow, even down to the garlic powder and has been a life-saver for bringing quite a few lizards out of their non-eating phase.

**Pedialyte $ saving tip: Since it has an expiration after 48 hours after opening – Once you open the bottle for the first time, pour the remainder in ice cube trays and freeze it. This way you can take a cube or two out whenever you need it and not worry about wasting any.

I’m not sure if you are using any dewormers at the moment but I personally wouldn’t use any on her for the time being. When they are lethargic and not eating, the parasite meds can be very harsh on the system and can cause more harm than good.

If you have access to some Hibiscus flowers that you know are pesticide free, try offering some to her. A nice red Hibiscus flower has tempted even the pickiest uros to eat.

Hopefully some of this helps. Maybe someone else will be able to come up with more ideas.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]