kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

New, and FIRST, Malis coming tomorrow - Have ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by lytnin on April 22, 2003 at 00:57:30:

In Reply to: New, and FIRST, Malis coming tomorrow - Have ??? posted by volleybms on April 21, 2003 at 09:07:28:

Congrats on your new additions. Yes the temps should be the same for juvies. As far as eating goes, sometimes it takes a while for them to acclimate and they may not eat for about 3 weeks. My male took 3 weeks to start eating, but my female ate the day I brought her home. For the first few days you should really minimize holding and contact and make sure they are given a variety of greens to eat...maybe some sweet peas on top to tempt them (mine cannot resist dandylions, roses and sweet peas) Although these things should be fed in moderation, they are good things to tempt new arrivals with. Mine eat almost a cup of greens a day, but yours probably won't do this for a few weeks. Another trick is to put paper around the outside of the enclosure so they can't see out...this makes them more secure and they will most likely start eating sooner. Sorry so long, I know that you didn't ask about acclimating, but I thought I should mention how finicky they are for the first few weeks so you don't freak out when they decide not to eat for a while.
Good Luck!
Julie

:My two juvie Malis are coming tomorrow - I am really excited!! Just a couple of questions - should the temps for babies/juveniles be the same as for adults, or should they be cooler/warmer?? Also, how much should I expect them to eat per day?? Should they be given more live food than adults? Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]