kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Wait!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]

Posted by spiny_tail on April 20, 2003 at 22:55:31:

In Reply to: I can't watch her suffer anymore posted by Lauri on April 20, 2003 at 14:40:20:

Lauri-
I was very close to taking one of my sick uros to the vet to be “put down” when I thought she was miserable and beyond help. Matter of fact I had the appt. made and was at the vet with the thought that it would be the last time I would be with her but with the encouragement of my vet on trying out a new method of treatment she’s her plump, happy self again. And every time I look at her sweet little face greeting me everyday, I can’t help but think how I almost gave up on her. I understand that your uros situation may be more severe than what mine had experienced but I wanted to share one of my situations with you to let you know that there is hope sometimes.

Going down a ways on the forum I see your original posting that walnut shell substrate has caused your uro to become impacted and that there was a small sore on her back? What did the vet do? What did he recommend that you do at home for her? Aside from hopefully being able to locate a good vet with reptile experience, here are couple of things that you can try now.
First- Keeping her well hydrated is one of the most important things. Check out Tricia Powers site on hydration http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/hydrate.htm Pedialyte is what I use when one of my Uros are dehydrated and has been a life saver in many occasions.
Second - Giving her daily very warm soakings for 10 minutes while rubbing her belly at the same time will also help. **(Very warm soakings meaning –as warm as your hands can stand it)** Make sure you dry her off really well before putting her back in her enclosure, paying close attention to the tail whorls. Water left on the tail has a potential of leading to tail rot. Soaking will not only help a Uro with constipation but a small amount of water is absorbed in the skin and will aid in hydration.
Just keep in mind that It’s very VERY important to keep her hydrated and don’t miss a day of giving fluids.

What does the sore on her back look like? Does it look more like a blister and is it seeping anything?

Maybe if you post what city you are in someone on the list may be able to recommend an experienced reptile vet that is in your area. Or you can scroll down to the bottom of Melissa Kaplan’s Herp Vet listing, Select your state and see if there are any vets located in your area http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html . If you have a local zoo, their reptile keepers may even be able to recommend a good herp vet. Just don't let your experience with one rotten vet ruin you for wanting to take her to a good one.

Please keep us posted on how she is doing and if you have specific questions, don’t be afraid to ask! :)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Uromastyx Forum ]