kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Press: Snakes Alive! (Pub fire & python)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Herp Forum UK ]

Posted by W von Papineäu on March 11, 2003 at 13:42:03:

EXPRESS & ECHO (Exeter, UK) 11 March 03 Snakes Alive!
Pub regular Wayne Mitchell conquered his fear of snakes just in time to become the hero of a fire which threatened his favourite watering hole and its resident python.
Wayne, 30, from Pinhoe, confronted his life-long fear of snakes, ophidiophobia, last week when Heart of Oak licensee Richard Thornton put Duffy, his pet python, around his neck.
In the early hours of Sunday, Duffy was in danger when a fire broke out in a bedroom of the thatched pub and it was Wayne who went to the rescue.
Richard's wife Lynnsey came dashing downstairs to raise the alarm.
Wayne, who had been waiting inside while his girlfriend Kym, the chef at the pub, finished her duties, helped evacuate the building.
As people waited for the fire brigade to arrive, it was realised Duffy was trapped in her tank in a smoke-filled room.
Wayne grabbed a beer garden table and put it underneath the window of the room where the snake was kept. He hauled himself up to the window ledge and climbed in after smashing the glass with his elbow.
Wayne said: "Richard and Lynnsey love the snakes so much and I could see how worried they were, so I decided to go in and rescue Duffy myself. It was very dark and the room was full of smoke," he said. "I knew I was looking for a tank but I couldn't see anything. It felt like I was in there for hours."
Eventually Wayne found the tank and carried Duffy out through the window.
He said: "The tank was heavy because Duffy weighs so much. The lid weighs a lot as well to stop her getting out. I took the lid off the tank to make it lighter. I couldn't see what she was doing because it was so dark."
Wayne said he didn't think twice about being so close to Duffy in the dark. However, if the fire had broken out before he had overcome his phobia he would not have been able to carry out the rescue.
He said: "There was no main reason why I didn't like snakes, it was just a phobia. A week ago there is no way I could have gone in there and saved her because I was so scared of snakes."
The Thorntons also own two corn snakes but they were in another part of the flat and out of immediate danger.
Firefighters put out the blaze at the pub, one of the oldest in Exeter, and said staff and customers were lucky to escape.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Herp Forum UK ]