kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: highway 16 road herping

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]

Posted by Chris H. on July 15, 2002 at 23:49:48:

In Reply to: highway 16 road herping posted by max draper on July 14, 2002 at 16:03:52:

highway 16 between Tilden and Freer is a very popular herping area. That is the area where most of the Mexican Milks in captivity probably originate. They are a reasonably common snake in that area.

It can be very snakey (lots of checkered garters and w. diamondbacks), but the traffic can be high on weekends. Some of the side roads off of 16 (particularly down towards Freer) are quieter and equally productive. It is not unusual on a good night (usually rainy April nights seem best) to see 50 or more snakes of 8 or more species.

Some of the snakes I have seen between Freer and Tilden include (off the top of my head) -
TX Indigo (protected)
Mex Milksnake
Desert King
Great Plains Rat
Mex. Hognose
Mex. Hooknose
Longnosed Snake
Glossy Snake
Bullsnake
Mexican Black-headed Snake
Flat-headed Snake
Checkered Garter
Ribbon Snake
Schott's Whipsnake
Western Coachwhip
Mexican Racer
Western Diamondback
Diamondbacked Watersnake
TX Coral Snake
etc.
(There are others, just not that I can call up immediately.)

Then there are the interesting lizards and the Tortoises (again, protected).

Be aware that I was pulled over by TPWD in a sting operation down there one spring. They had a huge dead Western Diamondback (probably almost 6' long) that they laid out on the edge of the road and then waited off to the side to see who stopped. When they pulled me over (I found it and tossed it off the road, cursing the $@#% rednecks who had put it there), they mostly wanted to look in my cooler, I guess for rattlesnake meat (??).

I would be a good idea to have all your "ducks in a row" before heading down that way herping (valid Hunting License and Driver's License for sure). I have not heard of any issues about the legality of road hunting down there, but realize that you are technically in violation of the law (another reason to stay on quiet roads).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]