kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: A few more ?'s :-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]

Posted by USFW on July 04, 2002 at 13:57:27:

In Reply to: A few more ?'s :-) posted by K.A. on July 02, 2002 at 18:06:19:

Who were you calling Chris? Was it McMartin
or BIG SCOTT.

: : First of all I think it is much more wise and responsible to teach children where to walk and look for snakes .

: Like I said earlier, we live behind a greenbelt. I often let my boys, aged 13 and 8 play back there. They know to stay away from dried flood debris adn I tell them to watch where they step, especially when going through the brush and crossing the creek. Am I missing anything?

: :Secondly contact all your local hospitals and make sur they carry Cotton Mouth Anti-vennin as all hospitals do not carry it.Knowing which hospitals to go to can drastically improve your chances of a full recovery.

: That's a wonderful idea I never thought of. I just assumed they would have it. My grandmother said she saw on the news earlier this summer that there was a shortage of rattlesnake anti-venom. Does anyone know anything about that?

: Thanks for all the info, especially the stats. It's nice to know that they are not so bad.

: If I find one that looks like it's staying put, I'll call you Chris. ;-)

: You guys are very helpful. I've been wondering about what to do about the snakes for a while. I don't know why I didn't think to write before!

:
: Also, what about snake repellant? My grandmother has some, but the package says that it doesn't work with water moccasins. Kind of defeats the purpose for me. I don't mind the harmless ones. They're kind of cute.

: Am I remembering correctly that the big rat or chicken snakes (that's what we always called them) eat venomous snakes? 2 years ago we found about a 5' snake skin in the yard, but haven't seen any sign of him since. Those might be handy to have around. My friend has a farm where they can be a nuisance. I always wondered if I could take one off her hands and put it in the yard. Just curious!

: Kelly

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Texas Herp News Forum ]