kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Can I have too much filter?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by checker on May 16, 2003 at 20:00:14:

In Reply to: Can I have too much filter? posted by terp_lovers_dad on May 15, 2003 at 23:58:36:

terp lovers dad,
put the RES in that lagoon and they might not make it to the 40G long. Those lagoons hold so little water that it only takes one defication to render the water undrinkable. Everytime the turtles eat they take in water. With 3 RES, you would need to change the water twice a day, and still hope they don't get sick.
As far as the filters go, if the suction is too much for the hatchlings, take some metal mesh and make a tube about twice the diameter of the filter tube. This will be enough to keep the turtles from getting close enough to get sucked in. By the time they are 3 months old, the suction won't even be a factor and you can remove the guard. As for getting pushed around by the outflow, in a 40G tank it could be a problem.
And while we're at it. Be prepared to up that 40G to a 100G or more within 2 years. Those RES will be 4 plus inches within a year.
Filter size: the Fluval 404 is rated at 100G an hour. So a 40G filled halfway is only actually holding 20G of water. That 404 is filtering 5X the water volume, that's why I think the outflow could be a little strong. Now, a 404 on a 100G tank is perfect. 100G half filled is 50G X 2 = 100G of necessary filtration. The going consensus is that turtle water should be filterd double whatever the actual water gallons is.
As you can see, keeping turtles right is not cheap. And regardless of the filter you use. The smaller the tank the more often you need to change the water. It's just a water volume versus chemical debris thing. The more water you have the longer it takes for the water to become unpotable and therefore a health hazard to the turtles.
I have a 120G tank (using 60G of water) I add 5G of freshwater every week and I do a 2/3 water change every 2 months. Your 40G tank using 20G of water will need water changes every 2 weeks.
Have fun, Checker.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]