kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

sorry there's text in this one, promise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by bloomindaedalus on May 07, 2003 at 14:12:43:

In Reply to: pro and cons of preforms and liners posted by bloomindaedalus on May 07, 2003 at 13:57:34:

i have used both (as i am sure many users of this foum have) and i can only tell you a few simple things i have observed.

PREFORMS:

nice and not so cheap

hard to transport if the need should ever arise

sturdy and really hard to break or tear

often too deep and lacking "shallows" which would suit many turtles well

can come with drains or have them added (a huge! plus) people underestimate how dirty their turtles are and most turtle ponds cannot be sustained the way koi or goldfish ponds are unless they are huge.....turtle ponds need frequnet draining and refilling even under the best of filtration and water planting conditions....again unless the are very very large.

can be re-used for other purposes like storage of stuff or a raised garden(i recentely fashioned one into the "land area" for an indoor semi-terrestrial turtle enclosure

the large ones are costly as i stated but better to get a slightly bigger one than you think you will need as you may underestimate space needed or somebody may brng you naother turtle (or ten!)

most are made to high standards so that they can withstand direct uv from the sun without breaking down completely

LINERS:

come in varying thickness; my advice is don't cheap out and get anything thin (less thna 45 mm thick is too "thin" by my definition, though others may tell you otherwise)

pricing varies. can get it cut to size you want for a high price, more often you have to buy standard precut sizes to save money

freedom of shape and depth; this can allow for making shallow areas so the turtles can get out easily or won't drown when fighting for food or during copulation.

if you get bored after a few years, you can change the shape.

yes sharp rocks Do tear them but ice and UV rays and turtle claws are not usually a problem

a little harder to stabilized "flat" areas if you are trying to contain plants or pottd plants or rocks to support basking sites

sometimes too smooth and turtles slip off and have trouble getting out of pond

harder to disguise if you want the pond to look "natural" ponds with stones all around always look sily and unnatural to me

if you do put them outdoors consider:

what you will do with them in the winter

how you will prevent attacks from predators

how you will clean/chnage the water

how much you are wiling to spend on water plants for food sources and bio-filtration

how hard it will be to create a shaded area

that you will attract mosquitos and possibly birds and raccoons

how you will make basking platforms or floats

how you will contain the animals once they get out of the pond

okay i think i have sid enough.
I like most people here, i imagine, think many turtles, sliders especially live a better life in an outdoor pond but the aforementioned warning must really be heeded, lest you end up with a "raccooned" turtle or an escaped pet or drowned pets or severely difficult water conditions,
good luck with whatever you decide. and please take pics if you can.

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]