kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: and .....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by honuman on April 18, 2003 at 10:34:31:

In Reply to: Re: and ..... posted by Zak92647 on April 18, 2003 at 01:06:21:

::It is best to try and make your pond around 3 feet deep. This will also benefit the little guys as it will help them escape predation by allowing them to dive down to a reasonably safe depth at the first sign of a predator.

:Thanks so much for the advice. Based on what you have given me I'm thinking about an oval around 275 gallons (3.5x3.5x3) with one side beveled into a ramp to get out of water to bask. One question though, for hibernation do I need to lay down a layer of rock or pond gravel to give them an area to rest in during the winter months? Or do they hibernate out of the water? This is one last area I'm a little unsure about. Thanks againg for all the help. I'll post pictures when I get it completed.

Sliders hibernate underwater. Some people provide a layer of sand at the bottom or even some large caves others allow leaf litter to fall into the pond (this gets messy and also if you live in an area where the water will freeze over you have to make sure there is a whole kept open in the surface at all times so that gases from the rotting leaves do not build up under the ice and poison your sleeping turtles). They can hibernate on clean bottom to. There is some advantage to this as they can be easily located and you can haul them up and check on the during their hibernation time to make sure everything is okay with them.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]