kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

filter... size

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by nathana on April 10, 2003 at 06:50:49:

In Reply to: Re: Last questions....for now :) posted by Jesse S. on April 09, 2003 at 17:43:16:

I wouldn't think there would be a problem with spotteds and blandings, but keep an eye on them. Blandings get significantly larger than spotteds, so if there was a problem, it would be one sided and end poorly for the spotteds. If you decide to mix species, make sure you are able to separate them at the first sign of trouble and care for both (I find it easier to segregate them).

Here is a link for a simple, easy to construct, and relatively inexpensive filter: skippy's pond filter.

Note that you will need a pump for this, one suited to push the gallons of your pond taking into account your head loss (many times the head loss per height is roughly estimated on pump box). I am planning on using this and adding a second grate above the media and filling the top with water hyacinth for veggie filtration.

Build your pond as large as you can. You'll enjoy it and it will be easier to have balanced and care for. Mine will be 8'x16' of pond, with matching land area, for 1.1 spotteds and 0.0.2 woods.

Make it as deep as you wish, but be sure that the sides slope gently enough to walk up (for the turtle) all the way from the bottom in at least one large easily accessible way. Depth is important if you want to hibernate them outdoors in the pond. A sand substrate is fine, just keep your filter intake far from it (my design has a long trench for sand at the deepest point, and the sloped sides will force sand to roll back down with water currents if it should get dragged out of the trench by the turtles).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]