kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: ribbon snakes?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The TSHS Forum ]

Posted by Steve on February 20, 2002 at 17:23:58:

In Reply to: Re: ribbon snakes? posted by Todd Evans on February 20, 2002 at 16:47:27:

As Todd says, the vast majority of ribbons are wild caught (wc), and most captive born (cb) I have seen are born from gravid wc females, not captive bred. I myself wouldn't suggest a rough green, not because they aren't nice animals, but they seem to be difficult to maintain in captivity for any length of time. Even well feeding, cb animals rarely seem to last more than a year or so, and the longest that I personally have known of anyone keeping one for is about three years.

There are a number of ways you can go if you wish to get a tank-mate for your ribbon. If you wait, eventually you will probably come across some cb ribbons. You could buy a wc ribbon and properly aclimate it prior to putting it in with yours. Or if you want to stick with cb, as you suggested, go with something different. If you wish to go that route, I would suggest either a garter or water snake. Cb garters are available in a number of species, sub-species, color variations, etc. As to the water snakes, cb are not as available, but I do see them from time to time.

Let me know if you would like information on sources for any of these animals, as I do know of a few.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The TSHS Forum ]