kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Aliquippa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The TSHS Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Evans on May 14, 2001 at 14:16:55:

In Reply to: Re: Burms & Boas - & Stupid People, Oh MY!!! posted by Ron on May 12, 2001 at 11:47:49:

I have not personally been to that store, but George has. According to his description, none of the things you mentioned were present at the time of his visit. There are 3 large burms, a smaller one, and a boa. The heat in the rafters is plenty enough for the snakes, and the humidiy given off by the fish tanks should be enough to sustain the animals. As to the care and cleanliness of the snakes, I'm not sure. I do know that if all 5 snakes shed around the same time, that it would seem like a years worth of shed. The fecal matter means that they are well fed. If there is nothing to expell, then they wouldn't expell anything. Anyway, I do admire your love for the snakes and reporting a potentially bad situation, but the fact is, these animals are cared for. They are not pets, and they probably won't be either. They were rescues that were "dumped" on the store, and they were good enough to take them in. The snakes would be happier, I'm sure, in a new home with constant attention and availability of food. The problem is, nobody wants to buy them, in fact, the people that originally had them didn't want them anymore, so why would somebody buy them. It is a sad situation that larger snakes become unwanted and unloaded, but at least Aquatic Garden took in the animals to save their lives. It could have been worse.

The point I'm trying to make, being an employee of a different pet store and all, is that sometimes it's just not feasable to take EXCELLENT care of every animal. Those snakes need a VERY large enclosure, the rafters was the only available space the store had. As far as food, rabbits aren't always available and are not cheap. If the store were to take care of the snakes under optimum circumstances, the store would take the risk of losing money to make these animals (that nobody wants) more comfortable.

I know it sounds like I'm defending the store, but I see nothing that we can do that would actually save the snakes. If we insist that they give them better conditions, then we take the risk of losing the snakes, and unfortunately there isn't any room in the law for cruelty to reptiles.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The TSHS Forum ] [ FAQ ]