kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Suitable enclosure for RETFs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by Becki on May 08, 2003 at 09:55:54:

In Reply to: Suitable enclosure for RETFs? posted by Derek Benson on May 08, 2003 at 07:05:13:

Gee, great to see someone asking all these questions ahead of time - but I unfortunately can't answer all of them for you. But here's what I can say - the temp isn't gonna cut it. They need a gradient with a max temp of 82-84 at the basking spot. And IMO all that flouro light sounds awfully bright which alot of frogs do not like - some to the point of causing stress. But I'm not a naturally planted tank person so I'll leave that to those who are. As far as pooping, they go wherever it suits them all over the place. RETFs are quite messy frogs and personally I think the simpler the set up is the better for this reason. As far as feeding 2-3 gutloaded crix every other day is fine, they are nocturnal so you wanna feed at night. I keep 4 and I do keep an eye on them when I open the lid to feed them but they will always more than likely jump away from you than at you so mine have never jumped out of the tank - not to say that is impossible though. If you'd like to check out the RETF page at my site, I'll include the link as it covers some more in depth info about them. And if you do, be sure to check out the links page for some great froggie places to visit on the web. Hope this helps! :)
Becki

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]