kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Oh Yes, My Congrats to you as well Tyler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...N/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by John Hedger on October 15, 2002 at 02:34:10:

In Reply to: Whew what happened??Attempted repost... posted by John Hedger on October 15, 2002 at 01:39:31:

:"My female dropped 10 babies on the fourth, but only three appear to be in shed- and not very deeply. How long before i can expect them to come out of it and start eating? How likely are they to take their first meals before shedding?"Tyler
:
:Tyler,
:While amazon babies will often strike at pinks either before or after a shed...they often will not hold on and coil. I think Mike H's advice to wait them out a bit after the shed is very sound advice. My litter of 9/11 shed and I waited till they were crawling and searching their cages at night(mainly because I was too busy!) to try and feed them. Eight out of twelve took live pinks on the second or third strike (within 5 minutes)!! The ones I had tried earlier, just after the shed were too stressed to take. I did get one to take "hotdog pink" though (dead pink heated up in very hot tap water!)LoL!!
: After the amazon strikes and coils, one must be careful to move away in , extremely slow, very slow motion and either leave the amazon's container uncovered or cover it (slowly!) with a thin piece of paper or the little buggers will often let go of their meal and proceed to stare up at you!!
:I used the technique once with chondros (which are much harder to start than amazons!) of putting their plastic containers within high brown grocery bags... then covering the top of the bag gently with a piece of paper after the chondro struck and held on. The depth and darkness of the bags helped them to feel secure, plus the chondros couldn't crawl out easily after swallowing their pinks!! I never left them totally alone during these feeding trials, but at least I could walk around the room, fix lunch, etc. without stressing them out!LoL
:One thing Ralph Chapman (Dark Grove) said about a baby he sold me once totally cracked me up. He said "Bring a good book when trying to feed him!" LoL!!!
:John Hedger

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]