kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Sorry, but I have to disagree. more

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by AnthonyCaponetto on March 31, 2003 at 17:27:12:

In Reply to: Re: It has an RI posted by DavidBeard on March 30, 2003 at 19:29:42:

David,

I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but the information you're providing here is incorrect. If someone were to follow this, they could end up worsening the animal's condition...this is the kind of thing we don't need here. I've dealt with RIs in carpets, bloods, etc. and I can tell you from that experience that dropping the humidity really does help speed up the recovery process. The trick to doing this with a high humidity species, is to keep them well hydrated (by soaking them) during this period of reduced humidity. With a blood or an ATB, you would want to soak the animal about every other or every third day, but keep the cage fairly dry (50-60% tops). With something that doesn't need as much humidity (like Carpets, BPs, Burms, etc.) you wouldn't really need to soak them at all (maybe once a week or so) as the humidity doesn't need to be nearly as high in the first place.

Yes, having the humidity too low can cause an RI, but by the time they get to that point, the animal is usually going to be (and look) very dehydrated. Judging by what he said, that's probably not the case at all. He said that the humidity is fine, which leads me to believe that it's probably too high (condensation on the walls of the cage are a good sign) and that the airflow is not optimal. Dank, damp conditions are perfect for helping bacteria/fungus to thrive, so raising the humidity is not the best approach when dealing with an advanced RI (when you can see bubbles, it's advanced).

BTW, I'm not trying to rail on you...just an FYI.

-Anthony

:RIs in amazons are usually caused from too LITTLE humidity. Are you sure the humidity has been high? How have you been providing humidity? I mist once a day and have a largt holde water bowl in the cage. Also, what kind of cage do you have the snake in? If its a glass tank, they usually don't hold humidity very well. I suggest you jack up the humidity and a RI can most times heal itself. Mine had a minor one a few eeeks ago and it went away after I cranked up the humidity. Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]