kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: baby atb will not eat..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by natural on March 11, 2003 at 19:06:55:

In Reply to: baby atb will not eat.. posted by donk142 on March 11, 2003 at 18:01:56:

:I purchased him off the internet about a month ago from a site that guarantees 100% satisfaction. He hasn't eaten anything at all, from pinkys, to tree frogs to house geckos, or lizard scented pinkys. I wrote to the cust. support for the site I bought him off and they said that all their atb's are all eating pinkys no problem.. I have unsuccessfully tried to feed him nightly since a week after i got him....I house him in a 20gal tall with a zoomed uth hooked up to a esu thermostat keeping the temp to 85 in the day and 75 at night. I spray daily and cover 3/4 of the screen top with a warm moist towel. That keeps the humidity to 85-90%.. I can't think of any reasons that he isnt eating, other than shedding...but he dosent have eyecaps yet and he dosent appear to have any signs of shedding... The site dosen't help much, all they say is to try to bump him in the face with a pinky....How do i get him to eat, and what are some of the first signs of an unhealthy atb?? thanks for any help...

Sometimes if you bump a snake in the face too much it will scare it.Try bumping his tail
a few times, then back off, bump, back off, bump, back off.What you're looking for is the snake to turn toward the source of irritation
and then realize it is food.Make sure that your food item is hot enough to give a heat signature,but not so hot as to burn the snake
or cook the pinky.With a small food item it's a fine line.Also you can move the pinky in erratic, jerky motions to get his attention,but avoid bumping the snake in the face if he's shy.This is the method I use with
emeralds,but it should work with amazons too. I hope this is somewhat helpful.Good luck!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]