kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Substrate Poll>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by buckroebeardie on May 12, 2003 at 20:57:18:

In Reply to: Substrate Poll>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> posted by jackie lapradd on May 12, 2003 at 00:24:39:

Hey Jackie,

I visited your site, in fact I have it in my favs. I remember when you posted the pics of that enclosure on the forum. It is very impressive.

My new enclosure is similar, except it is stacked- one on top of the other. Right now I am using heavy brown paper( the type contractors use to cover floors) with timoty hay on top of that.

I just wondered if there was a better substrate. I hear some people are using a soil/sand mixture. That sounds a little too hard to keep clean. Are you just using news paper that has been run through a single cut shredder, or is it a double cut shredder?

I am using 160 watt Mercury Vapor flood bulbs placed at one end, about 9" off the floor and pointed at an angle. With the news paper, would I need to worry about a fire?

The show was pretty good. It had a lot more Torts than the last Richmond show. I didn't get any Torts, just the 2 bulbs for the new enclosure.

Great to hear from you again!
Thanks for your input,
Steve

:Steve,
:I have used Timothy Hay, mulch, Carefresh and a host of other material in the past. I now use good ol' shredded newspaper exclusively.
:I have been very impressed with its absorbancy and ability to control odors. Factor in low cost, availability and safety should it be ingested and you have the ideal substrate for many species.
:An example of the types of enclosure I use can be viewed at www.Starofindia.homestead.com.. They are easy to make and relatively inexpensive depending on the types of wood used in construction.
:Jackie Lapradd

:By the way, How was the show Saturday?

:

::Hi everyone,

::I have posted this subject before and gotten mixed answers. I have also read everything I can find on the subject and gotten mixed info. So I thought I would get everyone's opinion again.

::I just finished my new indoor Tortoise enclosure. It is 6ft long and 2 ft. wide, wooden construction, 2 levels. The bottom level is for a trio of Hermans, and the top is for my 1yr old and 2yr old Leopards. It is a typical Tort table type with a wood floor. I laminated the wood floor with vinyl to make it moisture resistant. I have cut holes in the bottom to install water dishes(10" ceramic potting plant saucers- 1" deep)and a hole to insert a nest box for the Hermans. Even though the bottom is moisture resistant and easily cleaned, I want to use some type of substrate to make it more comfy for the Torts. Also to help with thermo and humidity control.

::After all that, my questions to everyone are:

::1. What do you use for substrate?
::2. What type of enclosure do you use it in?
::3. What type of Tort do you use it for?
::4. What do you reccomend for me?

::Thanks in advance!!!!!!
::I think this topic is one we will all enjoy seeing results to.

::Steve

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]