kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tortoise Etiquette

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Country-girl3 on April 26, 2003 at 13:35:13:

In Reply to: Tortoise Etiquette posted by edmund on April 26, 2003 at 11:00:25:

:Tell me if it's just me...
:The other day a friend of mine came over to see my tortoise collection. Now this guy has never kept a tortoise -lots of snakes and monitors but never a tortoise. We walked into the tortoise room, he spotted one of my female star breeders and exclaimed, "This is WAY cool!" and proceeded to pick her up, turn her upside down, rightside up, this way, that way. and then held her upside down so he could see her plastron. I gently took her from her and said' "They don't like to be held like that" and put her back in her pen. Then he spotted another female and proceeded to do the same thing. So I took her away the same way and explained tortoise physiology and how their breathing is compromised when they're upside down and blah blah blah, really just hoping that he'd get the hint and not do it again. As I was checking the last female he manhandled I noticed he was heading towards another pen: I stopped him just before he reached in and said I always sterilized my hands with Purell before touching animals that were in different enclosures. He said, "You don't need to do that", but fortunately I stopped him dead with a very loud "YES, YOU DO!" and handed him the bottle. I'll spare you the details of the rest of the visit but by the end of it my blood pressure was off the scale and I'm sure he thought i was just being ridiculous.
:As a matter of course, I would never presume to handle someone's animals without their express consent, certainly wouldn't perform gymnastistics with them, nor would I go from enclosure to enclosure without first washing (or sterilizing) my hands. This just makes common sense to me. Are 'snake people' more cavalier in their approach to their animals or was this guy just sloppy? Or have I just gotten too anal in my old age?

I have had the same problem with a few people I know. She is a wildlife rehabilitator, but doesn't know the first thing about reptiles and tortoises. She picked up my 2" leopard hatchling and prceeded to flip it around like a rag doll. I put a stop to that. People need to keep their hands to themselves. :-)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]