kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Lazy or realistic?...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by teepee on April 15, 2003 at 16:59:52:

In Reply to: Lazy or realistic?... posted by Niki on April 15, 2003 at 15:58:09:

Don't sweat it. There are those who think we ALL live in a nice warm cozy environment that is perfect for tortoises. Where I am, I get two months tops that I can put my tortoises outside during the day. Even in the hottest parts of the summer, nightime temps are still down in the 40's and 50's here. Here we are in mid april, and I'm still waiting for the dandelions to begin to break the surface(I'm not kidding--they are not even up yet). The same people who say not to feed Mazuri to their tortoise should be eating tofu and bean sprouts instead of that McDonalds super sized value meal. Mazuri was developed for feeding endangered tortoises and will do just fine as an addition food item on the plate. Plant protien has not been scientifically proven to have any adverse health effects on tortoises. Mazuri is within the same limits as many plant species from the very deserts that these tortoises originate.

:I don't think I'm lazy feeding Mazuri, however if I only had
:a small hatchling or small torotises I guess I could open my
:mouth and say that until I learned that: Purina makes Mazuri
:and I'm sure a little thought went into it since zoos all over
:the world use it. Growing grasses for a large tortoise to
:carry through the winter is a joke that only someone with no
:experience in actually trying that would suggest. Freezing
:any amount of weeds (along with the bugs and spiders etc...
:that'd be in it) would require a huge space for a larger
:specimen. Unless (and sometimes even though) you live in
:a wonderful environment, people who preach natural feeding only
:tend to be called "those looking to re-home their tortoise soon
:enough".

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]