kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: outdoor sulcata pen...ideas...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by gidyen39 on April 10, 2003 at 18:29:53:

In Reply to: Re: outdoor sulcata pen...ideas... posted by oregonlizardlady on April 10, 2003 at 18:13:04:

: Okay this is what i do with mine now cuz its small. I had aready built a huge pen because i was planning on adopting a larger tort to begin with. But that dident happen so my husband made a squair out of bords like a box with no bottom. I set this in the yard where every i want to. I took an old window screen and put that on top if im not out there to watch her. You just have to make shure that the bottom is in the dirt far enough so they wont get out. I only put her in it when the weather is nice and when im there to check on her. Sry if you cant understand what im trying to say.

:

:
::If Scooter is only a year old you will be seeing his needs change. He would get lost in an adult sulcata enclosure. I suspect you will need to be flexible and change and enlarge his cage as he grows. At one year old I would want a bird and raccoon proof lid on it. An adult would not need these things and it would not be practical to cover such a large area for an adult. If you provide him with a safe hide house it will help cut down on his need to dig in my experience.

::
:::I couldn't agree more with OREGONLADY. Heed her advice well! Sulcata's are expert diggers.
:::Brian
:::SFCRC

::::I used chain link fencing and buried cinder blocks under the ground. Then lined the hole inclosure with large bords so he/she couldent see/dig out.

::::

:::::My sulcata "scooter" is just about a year old and I want to start to plan my perm. outdoor enclosure for him. What is the best size and what material should i use as walls? Powder caoted mesh buried somewhat in the ground or??????. I know of most types of plants I can plant but mainly I want to make sure he stays in the enclosure. Any ideas or thoughts will be of much help... thanks!

:::
:::

::Thats almost exactly what have now for him... and works great for now.I want to build a larger pen in the future for him when he gets bigger. I'm tryng to find a proper material to make his pen out of... chain link is an option are there any other options for me? Sorry If i'm confusing. Thanks
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]