kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

thinking of a tegu

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by birddog5151 on May 19, 2003 at 20:18:14:

In Reply to: thinking of a tegu posted by baggins on May 18, 2003 at 21:31:26:

:Hi,all,
:I am hoping some one can tell me more about tegu temperment and behaviour. I have found lots of food and care, and that they are tamable, but not much on thier behavior,
:What are they like , what do they like for an enviroment, in the sense, are they shy, do they like is mellow and quiet ...and what are the dangers of owning one, Yes I know they make good pets but they are not domestic right.. :0)

My red/blue cross is about 14 inches TL. In the last two weeks it shown all the behavior...One evening I had Tiki out for about an hour and was really an enjoyable time. The next day Tiki latched onto my finger almost biting through the nail and I had three little punctures like when the take blood out of the end of your finger. He has eaten regularly, quit eating, shed all in the last couple weeks. Tonight I had Tiki out for about 30 minutes and hand fed pineapple and cantelope. This was after refusing to eat anything except pinks and very small fuzzies.

Tiki is an interesting animal and is fairly "complex" in what it likes and dislikes. The tegu is different than my bullsnake...or the corns and kings I've had. As far as lizards Tiki is a different "personality" than leopard geckos, Uromastyx, African fat tails. Your tegu will tell you what it "likes and dislikes."

If you like to read, Bert Langerwerf will have a tegu book out in about a year. It's out in German now. His tegu video is interesting. Otherwise, most of the information is tacked on to the popular monitor books. I have learned lots in this forum. Good luck. Sorry to ramble.

Mike

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]