kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My B&W cage, free roaming

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Rollin on May 07, 2003 at 11:42:37:

In Reply to: Can everyone post pics of your tegus setup! posted by jack7777766 on May 05, 2003 at 19:40:40:

It's 8' by 2 3/4' with 2' (left side) being used as storage for now. Just a single 4' pane of glass that slides on a simple track. The right door (open) matches the left and is usually closed. The hide box is buried on the right, you can kind of see the entrance. That's peat moss for a substrate.
Since I see you mentioned you're interested in letting your tegu roam. The way I have mine set up is so they can go in and out of the cage while the door is open. There's another basking site on my floor with tiles. Surprisingly they'll usually stay in their cage, until they get hungry. I'll let them hunt around for a hour or so before I feed them. After they eat they settle down and usually retreat into their cage within 15 mins. They have always went back into their cage by themselves. Sometimes they come back out later. There are dark places like under the TV but they deem them unsuitable for a den because some light comes in threw the sides. They will sit in the dark places after a while only if they can't get back into their cage. I have blocked one hole under the oven and I took out a recliner because I was afraid they'd get caught in a gear if we weren't careful when we sat down. They really know my apartment well. For instance when I blocked off the hole under the oven at first he would poke and prod the barrier untill it fell over, he defiantly knew what was behind it. When they get startled they know exactly where to go for the nearest cover. They aren't completely potty trained but I think it is possible because they don't go in their cage anymore and they go on the carpet less and less lately.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]