kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

thanks for advice, awesome videos, do you have more?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by jack7777766 on May 05, 2003 at 19:41:19:

In Reply to: ackies vs Argentine b&w posted by Rollin on May 05, 2003 at 16:19:00:

:
:First I thought ackies only got to around 2 feet long. Just to make sure your thinking about the same lizard, tegus can get to 4 1/2 feet and need a 6' by 3' cage. The weight difference would be oh maybe a pound or 2 for the ackie and 15+ for a tegu. Monitors generally have about a 50% chance of being nice (not biting you) were as a Argentine B&W is probably 95%. If you want interaction you're not likely to get any lizard with dog like friendliness. You'd be more likely to get a friendly tegu then a monitor because tegus are smarter. My tegus don't come sit on my lap yet but some peoples tegus do! I let mine roam every day, pfft get lost far from it they know exactly where they are, where to go bask, and how to get to their den. Anything new they'll go check out. They never stay under the desk for hours (like my bearded dragons) unless they can't get home (I have the cage open up to the living room).
:Don't get me wrong I don't think the tegus win in every category. I think ackies are adorable and colorful. Also if you want a bigger lizard then a tegu you don't have much choice but to get a monitor and hope it's not a devil. But these weren't the criteria you were looking at.
:The biggest drawback I didn't know about is my tegus stay in their den a lot. I don't know if monitors stay out more, or if tegus get better with age. I do get to see my tegus every day for at least a few hours.
:One of mine has learned to go potty in the tub without water within a few seconds. I also taught my tegus to come to me by patting the ground and calling their name when they're hungry. Check out these 2 video clips it sounds like this is what your looking for.

:Nice tegu: http://mavweb.mnsu.edu/wehner/Video20030420.MOV

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]