kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

getting first tegu have some questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Blakes_girl on May 04, 2003 at 23:43:56:

In Reply to: getting first tegu have some questions posted by nick75 on May 04, 2003 at 15:34:09:

First question that pops into my head is what size is your tank and is it going to be the tegu's final cage or just a temporary "growing" cage?

What you've said so far sounds about right. What type of wood is the pulp coming from?

You can try feeding the tegu mealworms, frozen pinky mice, lean ground turkey (if you feed this I would also supplement it with some type of vitamin). Almost everything that you can feed an adult tegu you can feed a young one, just in smaller sizes. If you want more of a feeding schedule, I posted a little ways down what Blake's (colombian black and white) weekly feeding schedule looks like. Just something to start from.

And most importantly, congratulations on getting your tegu!! That's really exciting.

Lindsay

:I am getting my first tegu on tuesday he is an arg b/w tegu about 6 inches long, I have his cage setup with 3" of compressed wood pulp topped off with 3" of sphagnum moss, I will get the basking temp to 110-120 as I have read and will be feeding it crickets and mealworms dusted with mineral all w/d3,does all of this sound right to start off with? Also what other foods are good to feed that size and what should be the min temp at night without wanting him to go into hibernation? Any responces would be appreciated, thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]