kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

WHATS A GOOD TEGU SUBSTRATE AS WELL AS WHAT GOES IN THE TANK

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by rowad on April 26, 2003 at 20:08:04:

In Reply to: WHATS A GOOD TEGU SUBSTRATE AS WELL AS WHAT GOES IN THE TANK posted by lew_234 on April 26, 2003 at 14:22:35:

:Whats a good substrate that they like and won't harm them as well as what do they like in there cages?

some people use soil, others cypress mulch

:do they like sticks to climb on?

most people feel branches are not necessary... a low basking rock or limb close to or on the floor is good.

:Do they need a big water bowl to swim in or just a little dish to drink out of?

drinking dish...although soaks in the bathtub are great.

: How hot do they need there tank?

this is debatable...some say 120 basking spot others say a lower temp is better...

:what about the humidity do they like it desert dry or moderate?

You are supposed to provide enough substrate where they can dig and keep it moist (not wet) for help in shedding....this is how they get their humidity.
I feel the way you care for it depends on who you have bought it from (as long as the source it good). Only get one through a reputable breeder...and from what I have read only two seem recommended (I use Agama International for all my animals, but there is another breeder who is also supposed to be good...can't remember the name right now). When you decide where you are getting it from, ask the breeder how he has been caring for it and duplicate, as much as possible. Also read the care sheets associated with that breeder on their website.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]