kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

best type of tegu for a begginner tegu owner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by modsquad5150 on April 23, 2003 at 23:25:21:

In Reply to: best type of tegu for a begginner tegu owner posted by Blakes_girl on April 23, 2003 at 20:54:25:

:I would probably have to say Argentine black and white. I have a colombian black and white and I love him dearly though. I guess it depends on how persistent you are and how much time you are willing to put into taming. I absolutely adore Blake! However, when I first got him he was very aggressive. I would spend about 45 min. a day getting him slowly out of cage, and then about another 30-45 min. outside of his cage playing with him (usually in an enclosed room like the bathroom). It has totally paid off! He's an awesome tegu and I can let anyone handle him without any worries. But if you want one that's already pretty mellow, I go with the argentine.

:Lindsay

::hello im new to this forum.i was recently reading an old reptiles mag when i saw the article on argentine b/w tegu.are these a good species for a beggier of tegu keeping.i have other reptiles .3 beardies and 3 geckos.so im not a beginner herper.or is there a better one thats tame and a fairly readonable price.i would like to start with a baby or youg juvi.if its the b/w tegu what is a good size cage for just 1 that it could live in forever????would 6' by 3' by 2' or 3' be good(lenghtxdepthxhight)

:
:

Lindsay is right...it comes down to how much time you actually have to sit around and try to tame...columbians are a little more skittish...but can become tame with work...argentines can be aggressive but if your willing to spend time then it usually pays off in a positive way. I have a red tegu and while i don't handle as much...it is still a totally cool reptile and worth investing in if you have the big three - money, space and time. They are expensive to feed, but easily maintained if you keep on top of them. This is my red tegu drake...he is almost about 3 feet now...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]