kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Tegu introduction questions.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by mnlobrien on April 16, 2003 at 20:24:29:

I have had my female red tegu for about a month and a half. Today I received a proven pair of reds. I put a lot of thought into how I would introduce them and here is what I did. I cleared out one of my 6 foot vision cages. I cleaned with bleach solution the enclosure. (this enclosure had been housing a large python so there was no old tegu "scent" in the enclosure). I introduced my female to the proven female in the new enclosure. My female puffed, tail wagged, and bit the proven girl. I watched and it didn't get too rough but as time wore on my female persisted in the fight. The proven tegu got slightly abraided near her back hips but at no time sustained serious injury. My femlae bit her at the base of the tail, hips, ribs and a little near the neck. It wasn't at all "mating behavior" however, just to be sure I probed my female to verify the sex. (it probed female) I seperated the girls after less than 20 minutes of fighting and pacing the enclosure. The proven pair has no problem being housed together as they have been since juvinile age. Here's my question. If I let the females continue "fighting" will a dominant female eventually stop biting the other female? Would you reccomend that I throw the male into the mix to maybe "cool" the dominance of my female? Can you give me any advice on what might be the best way to cohabitate this trio without worrying about them sustaining major damage? Please....give me some help here!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]