kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: did i make the right decision?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tegu Forum ]

Posted by Blakes_girl on April 15, 2003 at 21:18:13:

In Reply to: did i make the right decision? posted by contemplate on April 15, 2003 at 16:04:23:

I'm of two minds about the pet store purchase. My first instinct is to say to stay away from basically any type of pet store, whether they say they specialize in captive born animals or not. The fact that his front toes are missing is definitely an indicator of improper care, whether coming from the breeder or the pet store itself. This would definitley put me off. I work at a large chain pet store in the reptile department, and take it from an inside person, if you want quality reptiles, don't get them from a pet store. I would, and am currently waiting on some St. Pierre tegus.

On the other hand, my columbian black and white was bought from the pet store that I work at because I fell in love with him. Because I know what a great experience it has been to live with him and play with him, since you've already got the tegu, I say keep it. Although the no toes on the front feet definitely worries me. Many reptiles from pet stores have health problems. Whether they manifest themselves at the beginning or later on (something that I am also dealing with with my black and white).

But at any rate, congratulations on your new wonderful purchase and welcome to the wonderful world of tegus!!!

:well, i'm pretty excited because i bought a baby red tegu today. i've been reading this forum for quite some time and i've done my homework. i had decided to buy an animal from either st. pierre or agamainternational, but both were sold out and i was waiting anxiously. meanwhile, a local pet store (not your average petstore, very knowledgeable and they specialize in captive bred reptiles) acquired a baby red. it's about 16 inches long. I looked at it, but i wasn't ready. the tegu was missing most of it's toes on it's front feet, i assume it was caused by incomplete shedding from a vitamin deficiency. other than that, it looked very healthy. today i stopped by the store and they still had it. i bought him today, but now i'm wondering if it was a good idea. will his missing toes affect him in any way (besides climbing ability)? He was supposedly sold to the store by a private breeder in the area.

:another question is about temperature. i've read (at agama international) that b&w's can handle survive fairly low temperatures when hibernating, is keeping him outside year round feasible (i may need a supplimental heat source)? i live in central florida (near orlando) and there are only a few nights a year that approach freezing, usually the night temps are between 60 and 85 degrees. thankx for your time

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tegu Forum ]