kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Peer Review? - or censorship?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by Raymond Hoser on February 27, 2002 at 02:34:25:

In Reply to: Re: Papers, etc posted by Scott Thomson on February 26, 2002 at 19:31:07:

Scott you hit the nail on the head with one of your comments -
"I recently had to argue heavily to be allowed to cite Cann's papers as an International Journal refused to acknowledge them as published. They gave me the ultimatum of removing John's papers from my Literature List or they would not publish the paper. I won the argument in the end but I can only see this happening more, not less."
That shows amaterish behaviour by whoeever was trying to censor out Cann's stuff.
I see this sort of thing in all walks of professional life.
Most recently in the case of an idiot supreme court judge who made false and baseless claims and then hid behind his horse-hair wig hoping that no one would pick him up for it - and his other errors of fact and inference.
Professional behaviour is not restricted to those who have letters after their names or editorial boards and conversely amateur behaviour is not restricted to those without.
The overlap here is huge, which means that while I acknowledge your arguments (previous posts), they fail (in my mind) to negate my central argument that it is most important to have a good and proper paper and not where it is published and by whom.
Peer review can be either formal, touted as formal (as in Lunney's publication referred to earlier) or as a matter of course and unannounced in the cover of the publication.
And yes, any form of pre-publication checking is desireable for all papers, etc, not just taxonomy ones.
Thus at the end of all this, I've gotta say I think we agree on more than we don't.
ALL THE BEST

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]