kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: a point of view or what does it take to be...?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by ScottThomson on March 06, 2003 at 00:09:23:

In Reply to: Re: a point of view or what does it take to be...? posted by emoneill on February 16, 2003 at 14:54:56:

Hi I have been away a while and looked in and saw this interesting string.

I will also agree that your best source of info is the literature (though I see and accept your reasons for asking here)

I want to add though that you can't just read the review articles that have been listed here. All of them are good but there is more to it than that. You need to read the formulatory works as well. So read Meyer and Wiley and others. Understand the Biological Species Concept from its authors point of view, not everyone elses. Read some of the alternatives such as Sokal and Sneath, many may disagree with the Numeric Species Concept but do they know why, have they read it.

By the way don't thank Linnaeus. His concept is a far cry from what we use now. After all to him the basal unit was the genus which was defined by its "specifica" which could be up to 13 words long. He just started the ball rolling.

I will make one statement. Many of those who complain and carry on about a lack of a stable nomenclature may be feeling inconvenienced but they should just try to remember one thing. Taxonomy and Systematics are both sciences and ever evolving. Hence like any science they are never stable. Nor should they be.

Cheers, Scott Thomson

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]