kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

problems with burbink's paper - from a cursory glance

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by troy h on December 05, 2002 at 08:28:19:

In Reply to: New Snake Discovered in the U.S. posted by TW Taggart on November 23, 2002 at 18:40:41:

i just rec'd a copy of burbink's elaphe guttata paper (as well as the elaphe obsoleta paper). i have yet had time to read over it in its entirety, but a cursory glance shows several glaring flaws:

1) he shows "Elaphe slowinski" to be allopatric from "E. emoryi". This is simply not true. I have no way of knowing if this error is intentional, or if it represents sloppy research, but a quick glance at Dixon's "Reptiles & Amphibians of Texas" or Dixon & Werler's "snake of Texas" will show specimens bridging this gap. I personally have photos of specimens from within Burbink's gap, and know of many others in major museum collections (TCWC and UTACV).

2) Like previous workers, Burbink does not examine specimens of similar phenotype from eastern Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, or Illinois. He does allude to "similar specimens from southern Arkansas" but says they are probably "an isolated population of 'E. slowinskii'" - again, this represents sloppy research, as there are numerous museum specimens from OK and Ark available (at UTACV, for one) . . . furthermore, he does not sample any of these populations when making his comparisons between emoryi and "slowinskii". While I've not seen specimens from Missouri or Illinois, photographs that I have seen (e.g. in the Snakes of Illiniois) conform with the general phenotype of "slowinskii"

3) finally, Burbink continues to follow Collin's assumption (CNAH) that Vaughan, Dixon, and Thomas "clearly show allopatry" when an unbiased reading of their paper clearly indicates otherwise. In fact, Vaughan (pers comm) says that their data show a clear intergrade zone between what they call "brown phase of the cornsnake" (i.e. "slowinskii") and emoryi in the vicinity of College Station (and along a line to the north and south).

If a cursory glance reveals these flaws, then one can only imagine the problems a critical reading of the paper will bring to light.

Troy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]