kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: but do YOU use Elaphe allegheniensis???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by pjay on October 17, 2002 at 13:52:32:

In Reply to: but do YOU use Elaphe allegheniensis??? posted by troy h on October 17, 2002 at 11:24:14:

:but do you hold with pjay that we should, until further evidence appears, regard "elaphe obsoleta" as 4 species simply because burbink, et al have described them as such . . . or do you stick with your own conclusions based on their paper - that they haven't convinced you yet, and you're waiting on more data?

:see, that's my point - some would have you use any names published until someone counter publishes to refute the name change, regardless of whether or not the data really supports this name change.

In what context would you be using the names? If I am writing a paper as an ecologist, I may be informed by the differences that Burbink has found. If I am just writing a list of names, then it is a matter of choice. All taxonomic arrangements are inherently unstable at first because they rely on usage to become accepted. I don't beleive that every name must be used, but in the long run, work that is done in accordance with the rules of nomenclature must be accepted or rejected by a later reviewer. If you are going to complain about another researcher's data then you should be ready to put up some evidence of your own. Sixty years from now, someone will revise the genus, or better yet erect a new one for NA Elaphe and since noone shot down the name, it will include Newname allegheniensis.

:troy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]