kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Cannia australis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]

Posted by WW on May 02, 2002 at 03:23:20:

In Reply to: Cannia australis posted by Derek K. on May 01, 2002 at 22:08:22:

: Due to recent heated discussions over Aussie/PNG proposed Elapidae taxa changes, I have become somewhat skeptical as to which proposals are valid and those that are not. Would I be safe in saying that this taxa change from Pseudechis to Cannia would be recognized by the majority of subject matter experts or otherwise?

At the risk of starting yet another one of those heated discussions, let's just say that I know of only two authors who have used Cannia for the mulga snake or anything else: Wells & Wellington, who coined the name in the mid 80s, and Ray Hoser in his last few papers on the group. The question of validity is a red herring - the name is available, whether you chose to split Pseudechis as commonly recognised into multiple genera or not is really up to you. I have seen no "mainstream" herpetologist accepting the splits, and don't foresee any of the doing so, but there again, I may be proved wrong.

For a discussion of the taxonomy of Pseudechis, DNA evidence on the topic, the different classification options, and comments on them (yes, from my own somewhat biased perspective), see the link below.

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Taxonomy Forum ]