kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My funny little False Water Cobra story

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]

Posted by Chance on September 27, 2002 at 19:33:08:

I posted this on the rear-fang forum, but seeing as that forum is almost dead right now, I just thought I'd also post it here and let you guys read it.

I just thought I'd relate this story to you all as I found it very amusing. Just a little while ago I had a mouse escape in my sealed snake room. Knowing that neither the mouse nor an escaped snake could get out of the room, I decided I'd try out our male FWC as a pest remover. Well, I let the big guy out (he's close to 5') and kinda pointed him in the direction where I'd seen the mouse last. The mouse had ran behind one of our shelving system that holds some of the enclosures (keep in mind, this is a very sturdy rack). Within, ohh, I'd say about 5 seconds, we saw the mouse run out of the other side of the shelf, then stall a bit when it saw us, and then wham, the FWC shot out from behind the shelf and latched on. Needless to say, it was much easier to do this than to try to catch the dang thing ourselves. Then all we had to do was use our feet or the padded end of a snake hook as a "lure" and lure him back out into the open. It wasn't hard, as he was still in feeding mode and was chasing after anything that moved. We then placed him into a plastic storage container to calm down before we placed him back with the female.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed that little story. Like I said, I found it quite amusing. Who needs cats? These guys are just great, though he had no qualms with latching onto my shoe when I accidentally moved while trying to catch him (good thing I was wearing shoes).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ]