return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some people should never own pets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nita on December 23, 1999 at 15:49:07:

I went into the local pet store because I had noticed they had BP's in (uncommon here). I asked to see the ones they had. When asked if they were WC or CB they said that they assumed CB because they got them both from two different people who had owned them for a few years. Upon examining the snake I was holding I noticed that she had not been shedding right and probably for quite some time. Her tail was literally indented from the layers of old shed left on it, there was old skin left on her nose too. She was extremely friendly and just curled around my arm and relaxed. When I looked at her face closer I almost cried, her one eye was totally white and you could see scratches on it. The pet store employee told me that the previous owner had thought that she had retained an eyecap when she actually had a dimpled eye from low humidity. She had tried to scratch it off! The snake seems to see OK and they said that she eats well, but could you imagine someone scratching your eyeball!! What really got me is that the woman traded the BP to the pet store for a grey rat snake because BP's get too big. Well a BP will max out at 6ft long and a Rat snake at 7 ft long so obviously she doesnt' know very much, Bp's are heavier but more docile too. I was more pissed at the idiot pet store employee for giving this woman another animal to mistreat than anything else. My husband wouldn't let me "save" the BP either. :(

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Stories Forum ] [ FAQ ]