kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Need pics of natural tanks for exhibit

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by TonyL on May 10, 2003 at 07:30:33:

In Reply to: Need pics of natural tanks for exhibit posted by Colchicine on May 09, 2003 at 21:44:25:

:I am in the middle of creating an exhibit for an 8in Fl Softshell. He is in a 60g tank with a sand substrate and cork bark for basking. Some of the typical ways of creating a natural looking exhibit would be to use live plants, but this is obviously not an option. Any ideas on ways to obscure the 3 sides of tank and staying true to the habitat of a softshell would be great.

I keep a Malaysian softshell in a 75 gal tank with a sand bottom and fake plants. I also have a two pieces of drift wood in the tank if he wants to sun, however he never does. Instead he burrows under the plants in the sand and drags them everywhere. As for the 3 sides of the tank, up until last week, I let algae grow on the three sides, keeping the front clear. I finally cleaned the tank amd will let the algae start growing again. You could do that or buy those paper backgrounds and go that route. As for keeping a natural tank for a softie, well unless the tank is gigantic, the softie will plow everything up. Good luck. Tony

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]