kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Florida Softie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by TonyL on May 03, 2003 at 15:20:13:

In Reply to: Florida Softie posted by bloomindaedalus on May 02, 2003 at 18:42:56:

:wow that's very interesting. i had never considered the possibility it wasn't a florida. It LOOKED like a florida. But then i have never seen a nile softshell in person. This is very interesting indeed. These animals aren't exactly "on display" however. They just happen to be in a pond near a sidewalk so people can see them. I think that if they had purchased these animals they wouldn't be in this location. If you knew where it was i think you'd agree. But then you never know with Disney. Could you send me any more information about this MAxx? Even privately?

:
:

Living in Florida, I can state that Florida Softshells are found in ponds, rivers, springs and roadside ditches. There are a dozen places in Orlando where they live in water no deeper then 1 foot and they get to be good size. As a matter of fact, the one you saw is considered medium size. I have personally seen Florida's pulled out of Lake Monroe near the Volusia/Seminole county line the size of a small truck tire and weighing close to 100lbs. The only Nile I know of used to be kept at Silver Springs up near Ocala. It was huge and had to weigh at least close to 100lbs if not better. As for the Florida's getting there, all those little ditches and creeks are all intermingled and they could have come from anywhere. By the way, Florida's are known for traveling overland when they want to, especially the females.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]