kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Florida Softshell

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Maxx MacLeod on February 13, 2003 at 14:25:58:

In Reply to: Re: Florida Softshell posted by johnsaunders on February 12, 2003 at 22:47:39:

I went and purchased some Play Sand at Lowe's tonight. Should I bother rinsing the sand first so the water won't be so cloudy or will it not make a difference? I currently do not have a filter.

1) Yes, you want to rinse the sand...more for your benefit than the turtle. I usually put a pile of it in a salad mixing bowl and stir water around in it, pouring out the excess. After several times, it gets pretty clean. You can keep doing this until you have the desired amount of sand. A 1/2 cubic foot bag doesn't go as far as you'd think.

:Would the sand get picked up a lot with the filter or cause any problems?

2) I have my pump intake about an inch above the sand level. It still pickups up a fair amount of sand but with a 210 or 350 gph magnetic drive pond pump, it doesn't seem to hurt them. I'm sure it reduces the lifespan but I have one that's 2 years old in a sand tank and it's still going strong. Warning: this may completely ruin a commercial filter. You'll have to ask someone else about that.

:I believe I have a female because her nails aren't too long. I've attached a few pictures I took of her tonight. Can you tell by looking at any of the pics?

3) The nail trick only works with RES and Painteds. Take a picture of the bottom of the tail, when it isn't tucked in.

You can e-mail me directly, if you want...

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]