kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I just got a soft shell turtle today need help URGENT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Melody on May 27, 2002 at 22:47:19:

Hi, I went to the pet store to get a placostomus and walked out with a soft shell turtle. The people at the pet store didn't tell me much about how to care for it. It is pretty small about 6 inches long not sure though I didn't measure it. It is grey on top with little grey dots on its shell and a white belly and legs. It looks like you can see it's spine through it's shell, but I don't know if that is its spine or not. I have been watching it all day and it seems to be happy. I have a 55 gallon tank and a 30 gallon tank. I put it in the 30 gallon tank because it was cleaner than the 55 gallon. I don't know any thing about taking care of a soft shell turtle and I really want to keep it. I read some of the questions and replys on the web sight and it was very helpful in some areas. My questions are How much water should I put in the tank should it be half full or almost empty. The pet store that i bought it at had it in a tank that was almost full with nothing to bask on. What would be the best thing to use for it to climb out of the water and bask on. One of the messages I was reading said to use silica sand in the bottom of their tanks. I have a placostomus in the bottom of the tank with the turtle is it safe for the turtle and the placostomous to live together. I was reading what to feed it in some of the messages so my questions were answered there. The pet store gave me a print out from another website and it says Trionys spp what is that. Is that the kind of soft shell I have. I relly like this turtle and I want to take good care of it. Please help.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]