kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Please help my softshell!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]

Posted by john p on May 05, 2002 at 14:22:09:

In Reply to: Please help my softshell!! posted by DesertGex on May 04, 2002 at 11:14:04:

: I have had my florida softshell turtle for 8 years and its carapace is only 3.5 inches long. Is this normal or is he a dwarf turtle as he eats like a pig. Also,lately he likes to stick his head out of the sand. close his eyes, and open his mouth really wide for a while, like he is in a trance. Anyone elso seen a fla softshell do this before? Is it normal or does he do this out of pain?

: Thx Forum!!

thats probably not normal size for an 8+ year old softshell, even the males grow larger than that. Are you feeding him a ballanced diet? If you are only feeding him the caned turtle sticks I would say his growth has been stunted. Since youve had him for 8 years Id say what you were describing about his mouth gaping with his eyes closed isn't due to using city water,(turtles will do this if you are using city water that has been treated with chlorine. they are being poisoned by the chemicals in it.) Id take him to the vet. Softshell turtles need clean and highly oxygenated water since they take oxygen from the water into their blood stream through the lining in their throat, so they do move their mouth something like a fish does when they are underwater as they pass water in and out of their throat, but it is not normal to hold their mouth wide open with their eyes closed like that for any extended length of time (unless they are yauning)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Softshell Turtle Forum ]