kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Iguanas winnable at the state fair

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Society Forum ]

Posted by Anthony Sokolik on July 31, 2001 at 06:36:34:

In Reply to: Iguanas winnable at the state fair posted by Matt S on July 30, 2001 at 17:33:26:

We are currently battling the same problems here in New York. The only fortunate break we have is a law on the books banning lviing animals as prizes here in New York. Your best option might be to try and research some of the laws in your state (especially agricultural and/or health) to see if there is similar legisilation in your state.

It has gotten worse lately. It first started as only anoles being won but now small red-eared sliders are being offered as prizes.

-AJ Sokolik

: Hello-
: Normally I'm pretty excited to see our state fair roll into town-this year I couldn't be more dissipointed. Everybody is familiar with the fairground type games that give away comets for throwing a ball into a small fish bowl. This year I see that they are giving away iguanas as well. I run a small reptile shop in Great Falls, Mt- you'd think I'd be happy with all the business generated by the need for supplies once a minor comes home to his folks with 1/2 dozen iguanas. Its quite the opposite. Other than the extreme exploitation this represents and condition that these igs have been in- what about the fact that these iguanas are practically being given away to kids, while they munch on cotton candy or corndogs? Not to mention they hand out a one of Petco's caresheets taylored for spiney-tailed iguanas, while the reptiles winnable are El Sal Greens. I've already contacted the grounds owners(bad response), humane society, and the health department. What else can be done? What next- "POP A BALLON AND WIN A MONKEY"?
: Thank You-
: Matt Schubarth

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herp Society Forum ]