kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: lynn, which national geog. had the feature on snappers? n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Lynn_DeVries on November 01, 2002 at 00:42:05:

In Reply to: lynn, which national geog. had the feature on snappers? n/p posted by sk8r009 on October 31, 2002 at 21:28:39:

:::The state record in Minnesota for the common snapping turtle (chelydra serpentina) is 65 lbs and having a straight carapace length of 19-1/2" (Reptiles and Amphibians of Minnesota, Oldfield and Moriarty)

:::The alligator snapper (Big Ed) that I am holding in photo further down weighed approx 150 lbs and had a carapace length of just shy of 27". This compares with maximum weight of 248 lbs (Pawley, 1987 - presumably the one they have (had?) at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago) and maximum length of 31-1/2" (Prichard) (Turtles of the United States and Canada, Ernst, Lovich and Barbour). Prichard refers to an often cited record of a Kansas specimen claimed to be 403 lbs as "very doubtful" (Living Turtles of the World, Prichard)

:::As to the carapace lengths and exact weights of the ones in the photos, Lynn will have to answer those questions.

:::Bill

:::Bill- The Common Snapper that you are holding in the photos is 19 inches straight line carapace, and when he was caught 11 years ago he weighed in at 54 pounds. As you know I just recieved him at my farm and I think we both agreed he looked to be a little on the thin side. I will probably warm him up shortly and start him feeding so as not to risk losing him during hibernation. The other big common I have, I can't remember the stats, but when I move him into the Snapper Barn for the winter I will get an acurate weight and measurement. A couple years ago National Geographic had a feature on Snapping Turtles and had a photo of the big one that was caught out East. It has since died at the Zoo that purchased him(I Heard). The Giant Loggerhead at the Brookfield Zoo has died also.
::Lynn

:::I'm not sure but you could probably search the net at National Geographic or maybe even Ebay they usually have alot of them up for auction and give a brief description of each. I have it some where....but where? Lynn

:::
:::

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]