kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Too dumb to miss it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]

Posted by MiserMike on March 21, 2003 at 14:41:11:

In Reply to: Re: It's like unprotected sex... posted by hraaij on March 21, 2003 at 04:02:13:

:But this raises some other questions. Can you breed the in captivity and how should you do it then? Just have a very large tank or just put them togheter during mating season?

:And isn't it a bit lonely for a snapper to spend his live alone?

Allow me to speak from a position of relative ignorance, but trust the Southerners who have more experience.
I'm a Wisconsinite, and wouldn't even attempt to breed alligator snappers, since I'm guessing they need near-natural conditions, like a pretty good-sized outdoor pond with a suitable shoreline to lay in, and my spring/summer isn't long enough to induce breeding. Pure guess, but tank breeding seems unlikely; male snappers don't show the frenzied sex drive that some of the land tortoises do. And even though they're always after the girls, they're not successful a high percentage of the time.

As for lonely, I don't think most herps have the intelligence to get bored, and they're mostly solitary outside of mating seasons. As long as their appetites are satisfied (good food supply, proper temp, clean air & water, etc.) they seem to be OK with jus' chillin'. Granted, sex is an appetite, but I like to hope that The Big Idea doesn't occur to them without opposite-sex cues like pheromones, courtship postures, or whatever. Captive mammals show disfunctional-displacement sexual activity [read, dogs hump people's legs]but I haven't seen similar evidence of sexual frustration in my herps -- except for the well-documented male-iguana stuff. But then, iggies are crazy anyway. I enjoy my herps, but try to resist thinking of them as differently-shaped people, with human attitudes and priorities.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Snapping Turtle Forum ]